Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Naming the Blog - Thank you John Keats

I have travelled the world in many ways. On planes, trains and automobiles for sure but mostly on ships. I have also travelled the world through reading which is why I chose Keats's poetic metaphor as the title of my blog. Most Americans spell "travelled" with one "l." I chose the double "l" spelling, considered British English, in deference to Keats. Both spellings are correct.

On First Looking into Chapman's Homer

John Keats - 1816

Much have I travelled in the realms of gold,
And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
Round many western islands have I been
Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
Oft of one wide expanse had I been told
That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne;
Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or like stout Cortes when with eagle eyes
He stared at the Pacific – and all his men
Looked at each other with a wild surmise –
Silent, upon a peak in Darien.

My intention is to use this blog as a means to share some of my memories from childhood summers, vacation trips and professional travels. Many of the pictures included, especially the black and white ones, are real family photos. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment